Sunday, August 9, 2015

Application in GIS: The Final

Hello and welcome to my final posting for Applications in GIS. This is the final which is based on running a suitability analysis. This project from proposal through execution is entirely user defined. That is, I created the criteria I used for the analysis, and put together the project as I felt necessary. It is a culmination of my budding GIS skills with the simple objective of exercising all previously acquired skills through a location suitability analysis. I took on the persona of a GIS analyst for the UWF Working Group, working for a client who needs a suitability analysis to locate a new commercial facility for government contracting based on several criteria. The client is the principle party involved representing the contract company locating a new facility with the following requirements. The facility which needs to be located in one of two counties, Santa Rosa or Okaloosa, Florida. The final selection must balance the following inputs. It must be close to a civilian airfield with greater than 3,000 feet length. It must be located on commercial, industrial, or vacant re-zone-able land. It is preferred that the area have relatively low overall population, and relatively low combined parcel values in the surrounding area. To execute this project the individual criteria were examined from a basic feature class and transformed into a specifically classified raster to allow for multiple weighted analyses to be performed. With all these criteria being combined, and weighted overlays ran, a particular set of parcels were identified within the most suitable areas as being the ones that would be presented to the client for further exploration. The project as a whole can be seen at the following link:

Http://students.uwf.edu/bd26/AppsInGIS/Deus_SR_Ok_Proj.pptx

This was a good cradle to grave style assignment. I was responsible for everything from data acquisition to presentation. After having completed this project I think I would like to explore some other more appropriate factors to the location. The population percentage I used doesnt feel realistic or overly beneficial to the analysis, but I needed the criteria so I used it. The land value does seem like a useful criteria, but the keys with this are definitely land use and proximity to an airfield. Im not sure what better factors I could use, but would investigate further. An additional note, I feel the results Ive presented are mostly functional. However given much more time I would like to bring more Cartographic refinement into the mix. If there were one or two principle deliverable maps over the 8+ map slides in the project I would like to better polish through Corel Draw or other such program. It seems that a time consuming task such as incorporating Corel is one of the first things to go out the window when it comes to deadlines. Overall I think this was a good assignment for further refinement of and building of skills using ArcMAP. Its amazing to look at where I was a few classes ago to the understanding and application I can put into ArcGIS. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment