Monday, January 26, 2015

Cartographic Design

Greetings,
      This blog is in regard to this weeks Cartography assignment on Cartographic Design. Below are this weeks key Learning Objectives:
  •  Conceptualize and create maps according to need of end user
  •  Establish and implement visual hierarchy to emphasize important map features
  •  Apply contrast to map features to imply their relative importance
  •  Employ figure ground to make important map features appear closer to the end user
  •  Achieve map balance with the harmonious organization of map elements and empty space
  •  Symbolize layers by
The above learning principles were highlighted through this weeks laboratory assignment of creating a map of Washington DC's Ward 7 schools. The basic data for this map to include Washington DC Schools, Street/Highway's, Ward 7 boundaries, Park areas, etc were provided by the instructor/UWF.

My task was to take the data provided and create a map after having reviewed Gestalts Principles of perceptual organization. These are summarized with the key concepts from the text of: closure, common fate, continuity, figure-ground, proximity, similarity, smallness/area, and symmetry. Further these are enhanced by the aptly named cartographic design process which adds the following considerations: visual hierarchy, visual weight, contrast, figure-ground, and balance.

Here is my take on this weeks assignment created exclusively using Arc Map 10.2 desktop, composed of all mandatory layout elements with the addition of an inset map trying to work on the principles identified above.




Initially, I followed the hint from the assignments page and read through the lab instructions completely before beginning. I had just opened the Ward7Schools.mxd at the same time and was faced with more layers in Arc Map than I had yet seen applied to the table of contents. This was very daunting at first. The best thing that I did after completing my review of the instructions was to dedicate time to just orienting (I pointed myself east toward Asia, then realized being deployed, I’m actually in Asia (Cartography humor?)) myself to the items I had in front of me. This included turning off / on the various symbols, layers and changing their colors. Gaining this familiarization to the layers wasn’t an explicit written step, but most definitely one that I felt has to be implied to get over the initial daunted-ness. Applying the instructions seemed very much simpler thereafter.

For the execution of the map, the Gestalt Principle, and subsequent cartographic design principle which I wanted to focus on most is Figure-Ground relationship. This is established in a multitude of ways. For example, the school buildings are almost popping off the page, as they are an emphasized figure, and they lay on the ground which is ward seven. Further, Ward 7 becomes the figure by being lighter than the surrounding gray area which is now ward 7's ground. Other figure-ground relationships which mesh hand in hand with the principle of contrast can be seen with the font used. For example, the title is the largest font with other fonts being sized roughly in order that I want you to view them. This goes all the way down to the almost imperceptible name, date, and source data block. 
I could continue with my explanation of how I attempted to implement each cartographic design principle. But suffice it to say, I tried to follow the books example. I would be happy to add any further clarification or comment as necessary. Thank you for your time.


Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment