Monday, January 19, 2015

Owning My Map

Good day to you,
      Here we have a post dedicated to me owning my map. What this means is that I had an assignment about all the things that go into owning my map. A map isn't a map without several things to include a title, cartographers name, source information, scale, legend, neat-line or border, and north arrow. Now, yes there are map documents out there that are so well presented that some of these items might be omitted. However for the purpose of the class and assignment this was generated from all of the above are necessary. So adding these items to a map highlighting the location of the school I'm attending via internet (University of West Florida) was the task. However the real purpose of the lab was to continue to familiarize myself with the Arcmap program by having to add multiple dataframes, layers, and design elements to culminate into the below map while employing the basic elements common to most maps.
      If you happen to have read my previous post I can tell you that I apparently didnt learn my own lesson the first time. I once again reaffirmed to myself that when working with these wonderful programs, save early, save often. An hour or so into my creation I attempted to much processing at once causing the system to go unresponsive and have to be forcibly quit. On the plus side, I was able to get back to the point I was in less than half the time based on the first rounds experience.
    Ultimately as you can see I completed the below. To summarize, it shows the location of the UWF Campus in Escambia county while simultaneously highlighting Escambia county amongst all of Florida's 67 counties. Hopefully you find it simple yet elegant. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment