Friday, January 16, 2015

Florida via Corel Draw

Hello loyal blog viewers and people who stumbled by randomly.
Today's post is dedicated to my Cartography class and this weeks assignment on enhancing a basic map exported from Arc GIS utilizing Corel Draw X7. The basic premise was to take an overview of Florida showing counties, major cities, the capital, and waterways and adding key map elements utilizing Corel Draw to change the basic map elements, then export as a usable JPeg. The map elements that were originally missing were the title, north arrow, neat-line, and map information to include data source, the creator (me) and the date created. Additionally it is up to the designer to import some additional imagery, to which i chose the state flag, state bird, state flower, nickname, and state seal. in the process of collecting all of these images and trying to figure out how to organize them I came up with both of the below images. I decided to utilize the same features with two layouts because of the grading rubric involved. I feel that I like the Landscape version better, however due to the overlapping of some items, and the state flag being the background I thought it might be downgraded a few points. Vice the standard portrait layout which has all the rubric required elements, it just doesn't strike me as aesthetically pleasing in either case, both were created by importing internet pictures with the wonderful Snipping Tool, and adjusted using Corel Draw. The tools I used most were the Picking tool, Text editer, and some color utilities.
So why would I spend so much time creating two maps instead of just one? Easy, its only the second week of class so I'm trying to feel out the grading rubric. Both clearly meet the rubric criteria, however the one with more design freedom being used might go a tad overboard, and with two maps I should most definitely have demonstrated all of this weeks necessary skills in manipulating Corel Draw.
So, I feel I should inform you of this most valuable lesson when dealing with Corel Draw, ArcMAP, remote Access Servers/Desktop... Save Early, Save Often. I was halfway through my first rendition of my map when all of a sudden I was kicked from the remote connection. Now I did notice before that I was doing my work during a standard maintenance time, but everything had been smooth up to that one instant. So all in all, I got to exercise all the skills I had just learned over again, while saving repeatedly.
So what do you think, which map is the better one in your opinion?



















Thanks for stopping by.


v/r



Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment